Old 08-01-2007, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] farmerdill@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Anyone familiar with this seed company?

Shumway has been bought and realigned several times in the past 30
years as have most of the old companies. Not too long ago it was the
only place you could get the older varieties of vegetable seeds. They
are now part of Jungs as is Totally Tomatoes, Vermont Bean Seed and
others. Never had any problems with them, but thier variety of
offerings has decreased since they became part of Jung. I would really
miss thier version of Lazy Wife pole beans, except that I save my own
seed.
wrote:
If I remember correctly, these folks are in Randolph, WI, yes? I don't
have their catalog anymore, but I moved recently and almost immediately
received 3 seed catalogs, all from the same address in Randolph - a
grower's supply catalog, Totally Tomatoes, and a seed catalog (which I
think was Shumway's). Now, there's nothing really wrong with that, but
it sounds like they have an office suite there and are mailing out
seeds under various aliases. I'd rather work with a company that has
test gardens and is actually the company you're ordering from, like
Johnny's, Territorial, etc.

JMO,
Charlotte in the NE