Old 08-01-2007, 10:23 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default help! potato emergency!

"Stuart Naylor" wrote in message

/adjusts lab coat and einstein-hairdo

Perhaps try another different variety.

of hairdo? no, i was just making that up. it's my moustache that's the
spit
of einstein's. g

A wisp of a gray moustache and mostly gray shoulder length hair?
That sounds like someone I know.

doesn't sound like anyone _i_ know. i'm a girl, really ;-) (i take it you're
not, though).

Anyway about 10 days later I could plainly see a couple of shoots in
the hanging basket which would have been real beaut if they had been
lemons, but they were tomato plants. About 2 weeks later up came a
spud then eventually up came the 4 lemons (or at least I think they're
lemons).

clearly you're not using the abysmal potting mix _i_ am! (address all
gripes
to my potting mix whinge-o-thon.) *

I don't usually buy potting mix, this is my first year trying it and
so far I've been quite happy. My usual habit was to use well matured
home made compost which also works well.

i have problems getting _quantity_ of compost... any tips? it took me about
2 years to make enough to make cucurbit mounds this year (which are
brilliant!! i love them!!! and i've got volunteers sprouting away like mad,
which isn't as much fun as i thought it might be...)

i have so much trouble making compost in quantity that when i moved here 4
months ago, i brought my compost with me (and people said i was mad. well, i
sure showed THEM! ... um...)

i'd LOVE a tumbling composter - i'd make special collections for it if i had
one of those. sigh....

Tomatoes and potatoes grow like weeds around here.

excellent!!!! except when you want to rest the beds from the solanaceae
family. --- can talk the talk, eh ;-)

You certainly can talk the talk. I had to use a bloody search engine
to find out what in hell a solanaceae was.

mwahahahahaha! and another humble gardener commences his education in plant
families! vengeance is mine!!!
kylie