Old 08-01-2007, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Keith \(Dorset\) Keith \(Dorset\) is offline

Default New Greenhouse!

Hi,

I agree with Barbara, but I reckon whether you need to seal it or not will
depend on the quality of the greenhouse. We have one where the glass is held
in and 'sealed' with rubber strips over the joints. There are no draughts in
the corners either although they do supply a small tube of silcon for the
corners - which I have not bothered to use.

The Krypton Factor is a good analogy... well it was a challenge for me too.

You won't regret it.

Best wishes,

Keith

"Red Tomato" wrote in message
ups.com...
Little Weed wrote:
Hi
New greenhouse arrives tomorrow for the allotment - so all we need now
is fine weather for next weekend (yep right - sigh) As is usual with
these things we have a range of advice about the glazing - to silicone
it in or not? The glass is horticultural and not toughened.
Any thoughts gratefully received
LW

Hi Little Weed.

I put in a new greenhouse towards the end of last year, took a long
time to do ( by myself) but was worth it in the end, I choose
horticultural glass- I like to look of it and dont fancy the idea of
the plastic turning a nasty colour which apparently can happen. I
already have had a pane of glass smash but was able to repair it with
some glass glue for now. ( I think a bird hit it in the high winds
over the winter). I have attached it to a concrete flooring which took
a long time to drill but was really worth the effort securing it down
as the high winds have tested it and was fine. I have not siliconed in
the glass, I dont think there is any need as the panes slot in like a
slate roof, the rainn does not come in and there is no draught. Just
my opinion!.. good luck with putting up the greenhouse- I found it a
bit like the Krypton Factor but I am so pleased with it - was well
worth it in the end.
Regards

Barbara from

www.all-about-tomatoes.com