Old 08-01-2007, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar Boron Elgar is offline

Default Dandelion Issue

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 13:17:43 -0800, "The Ranger"
wrote:

Boron Elgar wrote in message
.. .
[snp]
How much time do you have before you plant?

A whole lot of time; I wasn't going to use this particular plot this
spring and summer.

Weed what you can. Then do a very deep rototilling,
and cover the area with weighted down black plastic
sheeting. Wait a week or two, repeat pulling anything
there, then rototilling and black plastic.

Won't the roots I miss still be there, though, when I take the
plastic off?

That is why the "lather, rinse repeat." You'll cut the plague
considerably. If you have the time, this will work well after awhile.
And you need a good size rototiller, too.

Why not seed with something you can till in to enrich the soil next
year? It may help to smother out the weeds.

I once used old pieces of carpet pretty successfully at retarding
weed-spread and growth but it was a major hassle when the carpeting
started to break down.

OH, I bet it was. The plastic lasts awhile and is pretty easy to get
up in one piece.

I tend not to use chems as a first line, but frankly, if you are not
going to use the plot this year and the dandelions are that ferocious,
Roundup or similar may be the way to go, but you'll still need to use
a cover later. I will use Preen on flower beds once they are tidied,
but not the edibles, even though they say it is fine.

I really hate weeding and do a lot of my gardening in large tubs now.

Boron