Old 08-01-2007, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan McKenzie Alan McKenzie is offline

Default Solid Clay.Veg patch. Please advise a newbie.

I agree with Mike.
At home I tried to improve clay but to no avail.
Decided on raised beds initially used treated timber - not a huge area so
railway sleepers not really a viable option.
Now have gone all posh at the behest of HWMBO and now have redisigned the
veg raised borders with building blocks - three beds two blocks high -
expensive but looks really cool especially with proper paving slab paths in
between. Have just got one more block layer to put on my last raised bed
although it is currently growing my spring cabbages.
It takes a little time to build up soil levels, unless your rich and can
afford lots of top soil and compost. I have been adding to mine gradually.
The soil is magnificent and the benifit is you know exacly what has gone
nto,
I love my raised beds.
Took over half an allotment about three months ago and would love raised
beds there although the clay problem is not too bad - maybe one day

Best of luck
Alan
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

judith lea wrote:
tina wrote:

But if any of you experts has any advice for me of ways of helping
with the veg patch preperation I would be greatful.

Thanks

Oh Tina, join the club - we are on awful clay, I'm sure I could make a

[...]

Both situations sound like clear cases for raised beds.

--
Mike.