Old 08-01-2007, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gill Matthews Gill Matthews is offline

Default Solid Clay.Veg patch. Please advise a newbie.

In article , says...
Hi, I have an old un-used drive (covered in small pebbles). I have
cleared away the layer of pebbles (1 spade depth).

I am now left with solid & I do mean SOLID :-( CLAY.

I have done a couple of test trenches 1 more spades depth & below its
still SOLID CLAY :-( (very hard work digging out slabs of solid clay)

The plan is to dig don 1 more spades debth & put in half a spades
depth of pebbles & then 1 1/2 spades depth of compost, mixed up clay ,
leaves & any other organic matter I can find.

BUT, now that I am 2 spades debth down, below that is still SOLID
clay. The last few days rain has turned it into a bit of a pond & its
very slow draining.

Should I use something like a couple of bags of FINNISH PLASTER, that
contains GYPSUM to try and break it up a bit ?

The plan is its going to be a VEG PATCH.

We did watch the BBC prog about planning veg patches, but must admit
we had to laugh a bit when the lady said she had heavy clay soil,
which to us looked fantastic, think ours must be HEAVT HEAVY clay :-)

BUT we have 3 compost bins on the go so hopefully we are producing
some good stuff to min in with the clay & pebbles.

But if any of you experts has any advice for me of ways of helping
with the veg patch preperation I would be greatful.

If you can possibly build raised beds then I would do that on top
of your spades depth of pebbles. you don't say where you are but in
some parts of the thames valley for example you could be on 150 + foot
of clay so digging down may well be a complete wste of time clay
could well be the 'bedrock'

Gill M