Old 08-01-2007, 10:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default new gardener, needs advice

wrote in message
ups.com...
I think I'll just buy the pre-grown varieties, as we don't need more
than a dozen plants.
Thanks for all your replies!

Jason Kelly
Valley Center, KS

If you buy from a place that keeps the plants in a partially shaded
greenhouse, they'll probably look much nicer than those which are out on
tables in the sun all day. In fact, the greenhouse plants ARE healthier
because they don't go through the huge dry-to-wet cycles as the those
displayed outdoors. One caveat, though: The greenhouse plants should be
gradually acclamated to full sun, or some of them will suffer very badly.
This may mean that you have to stash them behind bushes for part of the day,
or whatever else you have to do to make the change a gradual one. This is
especially important if you aren't home all day. On a sunny day with a
little breeze, 6-packs will dry out in about 23 minutes.