Old 08-01-2007, 09:17 PM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default help! potato emergency!

"Stuart Naylor" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 14:03:46 +1100, "Farm1"

please@askifyouwannaknow
wrote:

"Stuart Naylor" wrote in message

I had a spare hanging basket I wasn't using, so I emptied the

soil
into the compost, refilled the basket with fresh potting mix and
planted 4 lemon seeds.

Anyway about 10 days later I could plainly see a couple of shoots

in
the hanging basket which would have been real beaut if they had

been
lemons, but they were tomato plants. About 2 weeks later up came

spud then eventually up came the 4 lemons (or at least I think

they're
lemons).

Could you keep us updated on how the lemons go please Stuart? I've
always been interested in whether seeds from the "not the normal
garden seeds" work.

Yes sure will.

The lemons were given to me and I have never seen the tree they
originated from but I will try and find out what variety they are.

Otherwise not knowing the variety may make it a bit of a pointless
exercise.

If I can't find out the variety I will obtain some more seeds from a
known variety and plant them also.

I'm not sure if that is right given what Jackie French has to say on
the subject which is partly why I'm interested. Basically she says
that seeds aren't so different from the parent that it makes a lot of
differnece - you should still get useable crops. We might be in for
long term reporting on these wee lemons - can't imagine that they'll
be bearing for years yet ;-))