Old 09-01-2007, 12:39 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default help! potato emergency!

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

Do you have any books by Jackie French? If not they are well worth
buying or borrowing from the library. You can just grow plants in
piles of weeds if that is all you have - Jackie gave me the idea.

i've been getting through the ones available at the library (my, she is
prolific!!) her weed book was a _revelation_ to me. i'd been too anal about
the whole thing, & looking at it totally the wrong way. i really like her
books, she's great :-) another good thing is she's a "local author", so i
can directly apply things she says, pretty much.

I have some BIG weeds in my garden - giant phalaris and cocksfoot and
all sorts of other giant clumpers which got away when I had to have
cancer treatment and couldn't do any gardneing. These I just dig up
and leave lying on the paths (fully develiped seed heads and all) and
once teh roots ahve dried out I then just throw them in a pikle
somewhere and they often formt eh basis for growing spots. ATM, I've
got volunteer spuds growing in weeds - basically the weeds are being
used like the hay beds for spuds, but you could also use them for
cucurbits. any weeds tha do sprout again get pulled out or buried in
more weeds or old hay on top.

If I was running a nice neat garden, I'd have composted all these but
I currently dont' ahve the space in any of my compost bins so they are
bein used in another fashion.

excellent. the idea of weeds as mulch was wonderful for me - weeds as
growing locations even better! or weeds as foliar feed (another jackie
idea). well anyway, clearly we are both fans ;-) i might do a weed-spot
experiment, now!

i'd LOVE a tumbling composter - i'd make special collections for it

if i had
one of those. sigh....

I lusted after a tumble composter for years but was put off by the
cost. I saw the following at a firend's and she recommended them
highly.:
http://www.tumbleweed.com.au/pages/d...?page_id=20061

I now have 2 and find them fantastic and they are much cheaper than
the ones I was lusting after. Everything my friend said about them is
true - great beasties. I think thye were about $150 each.

wonderful!! i shall take your recommendation on board.
kylie (who is really pining for one now ;-)