Old 09-01-2007, 10:40 AM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default help! potato emergency!

"Stuart Naylor" wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 08:17:20 +1100, "Farm1"

please@askifyouwannaknow
wrote:

I'm not sure if that is right given what Jackie French has to say

on
the subject which is partly why I'm interested. Basically she says
that seeds aren't so different from the parent that it makes a lot

of
differnece - you should still get useable crops. We might be in

for
long term reporting on these wee lemons - can't imagine that

they'll
be bearing for years yet ;-))

Yes it might take awhile before they fruit.

I've sometimes read warnings about growing your own fruit &

vegetables
using seed from a previous years crop. They usually go on to mention
that the crops can develop diseases or become susceptible to

diseases.

I've not come across that sort of comment before and I'm a voracious
reader of all thigns gardening. The comment I've most often seen is
the warning about not trying to use the seeds from hybrids. I've not
had any problems with any of the saved seed I use, but then I I don't
have many that I keep either. What I tend to do is to just wander
round the garden scattering seeds from the seedheads of flowers -
thye end up growing in some interesting places. The only veg related
seeds I've used from saved seed is garlic chives and rocket - both
seem OK (and pumpkin too - also OK).

I don't know how much truth is in that or is it just to entice us

keep buying commercially produced seed. ;-)

Have you seen the books from the Aus and US seedsavers networks? -
well work reading as they are mines of information..