Old 10-01-2007, 05:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default straw bale garden update +

"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day fragile warrior,

mushroom compost is the spent medium from mushroom farms, a very good
addition or even starter medium for gardens or around trees.

how your water situation Len?

It was a bit dry here to the point I was considering using washing machine
water on the lawn. The very next day we had a good dump of rain and several
days of drizzle forecast (hot and humid weather being the payback). I have
since learnt a little about the affect on soil of the washing powder I use
(a combination of washing soda and borax) and I guess I won't risk it at the
moment.

An interesting trade off, the washing soda/borax are simple products and
hence low in inputs/energy to produce them and available in bulk, this is
advantageous. They are also highly alkaline which is a down side if using on
soil.

rob