Old 10-01-2007, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Is ivy bad for trees?

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Des Higgins" writes:

| In general, the former. Until the ivy starts dominating the tree's
| canopy, it may be ignored. It is also good for bees and other
| wildlife, as well as useful for decoration.
|
| Agreed; it provides places to live for birds and invertebrates and the
| flowers and berries are valuable sources of food.
|
| The only good reason I have heard for remvong it is the idea that it

can
| bring down a tree in a storm. I have heard that suggestion many times

but
| have also read that it simply does not happen in reality.

It does, but only when the ivy dominates the canopy.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I think in many cases when you see a tree (or part of it) down and its
covered with ivy, its the fact that it in part has become dead or diseased
but unnoticed due to the healthy ivy. I am sure the extra windage in winter
can be a problem but then again down here summer storms are not that rare
and trees seem fine with a full set of leaves, so if it were me I would
leave most of it and only remove it if it spoils the shape or outline of a
tree.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk