Old 10-01-2007, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
judith lea judith lea is offline

Default Solid Clay.Veg patch. Please advise a newbie.

Farm1 wrote:
Any idea of how much sand to the square metre?

Sorry, I don't. I don't buy things that way, I just go to the
landscape yard and buy one or two scoops of the bucket on the tractor
at a time. I think that one scoop is a sq metre.

If nothing else has worked for you, it might be a 'suck it and see'
situation. Given that the two opposing ends of the soil scale are
clay and sand then the amendment for both those ends is to apply the
opposite. I think I'd rather be adding sand to clay than to be mixing
up sloppy buckets of clay to pour onto sand.

I agree. I think that I will order a lorry load and spread it all over
and let the worms take it down before Spring. I'll post in the Summer
if things have improved. Many thanks.

Judith at Home in England