Old 10-01-2007, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Okay, we can't garden so.........

judith lea wrote:
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
I've never grown asparagus but I saw some fantastic very tall ferny stuff
last summer in a neighbours garden. I want to grow it just for the foliage.
Is the foliage normally 5 feet tall.? I got some of the orange seed so it's
worth a go.

Rupert, we grew asparagus at our last house in the City where we were
on better soil than we have here. We had approximately 4 dozen, three
year old crowns, when we bought them. We were unable to eat from them
the first year we planted them but the following year produced a good
crop so that we could eat the spears about twice a week. The year
after, we could eat them more often and I have fond memories of me
(years ago!) in a bath with a glass of champage and asparagus with
butter dripping from it. I was getting over a nasty cold and my
husband was spoiling me.

God above! that does it. I'm redoing the asparagus bed, and getting
the beloved to revamp the bathroom.

Cat(h)