Old 10-01-2007, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Okay, we can't garden so.........

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 10/1/07 16:03, in article
, "Des Higgins"
wrote:

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
. ie...

I am also a glutton for fashion whims and now want globe artichokes
after
seeing that Carol Klein digging up muddy handfuls and making chips.
Des in Dublin

Are those the Irish undeground version of Jerusalem Artichokes:-)

Ahhhhhhhhh bugger!!!
got me Cynaras and me Helianthusses mixed up so I did.
That's a fair cop guv.
(both silly names anyway :-)

Cynaras and Artichokes is different. Now you do have to have be very
strange to want to eat Cardoons.

Believe it or not (and here I puff out my large manly chest and seek
revenge
for having been caught mixing up my edible daisies and thistles)
Cardoons are very edible (I had them in Madrid in a student restaurant 18
months ago; seemed to be stems or big leaf stalks) where they were called
Cardo and I guessed what they were and they tasted strongly of the thick
creamy sauce that was ladled all over them and I survived and they seemed
nice enough.

snip

I think they have to be blanched before they're cooked - earthed up, or
something. I remember we had this discussion some time ago on urg. But
cardoons grown as ornamental plants are fabulously spectacular - real show
stoppers in the garden.

We have both cardoon and artichoke (well one of each; small front garden);
the cardoon is more spectacular but the artichoke is neater (and easier to
eat :-).

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk