Old 11-01-2007, 06:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Dandelion Issue

I believe dandelions reproduce by new seeding. I do a careful job of removing
all
the yellow flowers before they go to seed. Another choice is the pre-emergence
applications you can put down to prevent new seedlings from sprouting up. Do
this
early enough in Spring to catch them in time. This will also stop your grass
from
spreading, which also does so by natural re-seeding. That may be a necessary
evil, until you get the dandelions under control.

Sherwin D.

The Ranger wrote:

My "resting" garden plot has been invaded by several dozen tree-like
dandelions. Inattentive maintainance allowed this. At first I dug
the buggers up individually but the roots are 18-20" deep. Worse,
those that I have managed to dig out successfully show off-shooters
from broken or missed pieces.

I don't want to start throwing down my consumer-grade agent orange
but it's now reached epidemic proportions. My plot looks like I'm
cultivating the yellow buds for commercial distribution throughout
my neighborhood. Is there a way of ridding my garden area of these
pests without resorting to chemical purfication?

Many thanks.

The Ranger