Old 11-01-2007, 11:52 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default Planting now

In article ,
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

I put in a whole tray of beetroot seed this morning - dunno if they'll
be any good as the seed was rather old. I soaked then overnight so
we'll soon see.

I find them pretty forgiving -- hope you get plenty.

Will have to wait a bit longer for the eggplant seedlings.

What sort are you planting - the big purple ones or the smaller ones?

Mixed Heirlooms from Diggers. Be interesting to see if the orange one comes
up.

I've only ever been good with Scarlet Runners (and who can fail with
them?) but beans aren't a big item in this house as only one of us
will eat them.

cough *I* have failed with Scarlet Runners; Sydney is too humid for them, I
suspect.

I use this guide:
http://www.global-garden.com.au/plnttemp.htm

Interesting but it doesn't allow for variations for climate conditons.
For eg, there is no way I could plant pumpkins of any vairety now and
expect a crop before frosts.

It's a bit out for me too. I've worked out I would have to plant Brussels
Sprouts in December in order to get a crop, which means nursing them through a
Sydney summer... no point, which is a pity, because a fresh Brussels Sprout is
a thing of beauty and a joy forever :-)

GG have other planting guides -- would you perhaps be in the Cool zone, like
Ant? (Forgotten where you are, if I ever knew.)

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue