Old 11-01-2007, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Okay, we can't garden so.........

On 11/1/07 14:12, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

snip

Went out this morning and there were several trees blown over.

One of the nursery staff has just told us the very sad story of the death of
a very old and mighty oak tree which fell into a field on his father's farm.
It was rotten when it went over but without the storms might have survived
longer, I suppose. The tree surgeon who has come to look at this tree on
their farm, told them that it's quite possibly 1000 to 1200 years old and
that to attempt to saw it up would take more than a week and involve the
importation of special machinery. He estimates that the whole thing weighs
between 150 and 200 tons. Some of the branches are 8 feet in diameter.
Lying down, its branches project about 60 feet into the air. As yet, nobody
can decide what to do with it or about it. It doesn't actually belong to
the farmer but the neighbour to whom it does belong has gone bust and can't
afford to do anything about its disposal.
I just hope a furniture maker is offered the chance to use it, though how he
would move it is beyond imagining.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk