Old 11-01-2007, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default small worms in potatoes

Andy wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to growing my own veg and last year I grew potatoes for the
first time. Although I had some success I lost around one third of my
crop. The main pest was a small greyish coloured worm that borrowed
into the potato. I originality thought this was eel worm but I gather
they are very small, these pests were around 4mm.
Does anyone know what this pest might be and what I could do? The best
approach I can think off at the moment is to order a different variety
to last year, maybe some thing disease resistant like Kestrel.

It's wireworms (Agriotes lineatus) and we've all had problems with them
this year. I've heard of few reports on sciarid too, because of the
weather, the flies made their ways to the potatoes more easily. Once
the agriotes make a tunnel in the potatoes, the slugs get in there.

Kestrel is nice, great chips! But you didn't have a disease problem,
you had a pest problem )