Old 11-01-2007, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert[_2_] Robert[_2_] is offline

Default small worms in potatoes

La Puce wrote:
: Andy wrote:
:: Hi,
::
:: I'm new to growing my own veg and last year I grew potatoes for the
:: first time. Although I had some success I lost around one third of
:: my crop. The main pest was a small greyish coloured worm that
:: borrowed into the potato. I originality thought this was eel worm
:: but I gather they are very small, these pests were around 4mm.
:: Does anyone know what this pest might be and what I could do? The
:: best approach I can think off at the moment is to order a different
:: variety to last year, maybe some thing disease resistant like
:: Kestrel.
:
: It's wireworms (Agriotes lineatus) and we've all had problems with
: them this year. I've heard of few reports on sciarid too, because of
: the weather, the flies made their ways to the potatoes more easily.
: Once the agriotes make a tunnel in the potatoes, the slugs get in
: there.
:
: Kestrel is nice, great chips! But you didn't have a disease problem,
: you had a pest problem )

I agree with La Puce on this one