Old 11-01-2007, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gill Matthews Gill Matthews is offline

Default small worms in potatoes

In article . com, says...
Hi,

I'm new to growing my own veg and last year I grew potatoes for the
first time. Although I had some success I lost around one third of my
crop. The main pest was a small greyish coloured worm that borrowed
into the potato. I originality thought this was eel worm but I gather
they are very small, these pests were around 4mm.

Does anyone know what this pest might be and what I could do? The best
approach I can think off at the moment is to order a different variety
to last year, maybe some thing disease resistant like Kestrel.

Thanks,
Andy

They are most likely first hatch slugs. Growing n early maincrop like
kestrel (a lovely spud and one of my favourites) will help because you
will get the crop out of the ground before infestation levels get too
high.