Old 11-01-2007, 10:13 PM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Planting now

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article

,
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

I put in a whole tray of beetroot seed this morning - dunno if

they'll
be any good as the seed was rather old. I soaked then overnight

so
we'll soon see.

I find them pretty forgiving -- hope you get plenty.

There would be well over a hundred seeds in this seed tray, so if I
only get 10%, I think I'll have more than enough. If the lot come up,
I'll be looking for volunteers!

Will have to wait a bit longer for the eggplant seedlings.

What sort are you planting - the big purple ones or the smaller

ones?

Mixed Heirlooms from Diggers. Be interesting to see if the orange

one comes
up.

Can you report back on how these go please? I think we all should do
more of that here on a regular basis as sometimes it's really hard to
know which producers sell good seed and which regions they do well in.

I've only ever been good with Scarlet Runners (and who can fail

with
them?) but beans aren't a big item in this house as only one of us
will eat them.

cough *I* have failed with Scarlet Runners; Sydney is too humid

for them, I
suspect.

You could be right in that. I know that they do well in most inland
gardens and the coast is more humid.

I use this guide:
http://www.global-garden.com.au/plnttemp.htm

Interesting but it doesn't allow for variations for climate

conditons.
For eg, there is no way I could plant pumpkins of any vairety now

and
expect a crop before frosts.

It's a bit out for me too. I've worked out I would have to plant

Brussels
Sprouts in December in order to get a crop, which means nursing them

through a
Sydney summer... no point, which is a pity, because a fresh Brussels

Sprout is
a thing of beauty and a joy forever :-)

Not many people think that - I do too but it's the same with poor old
parsnips which most people hate. Fresh parsnip is devine (salivate,
salivate).

GG have other planting guides -- would you perhaps be in the Cool

zone, like
Ant? (Forgotten where you are, if I ever knew.)

Not too far from Ant - within several bull's roar of the ACT.
Speaking of Ant, where has he been of late, I wonder.