Old 11-01-2007, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Keith \(Dorset\) Keith \(Dorset\) is offline

Default Now brooding over bantams.

Many thanks Mike.

I will definately heed your advice.

Best wishes,

Keith

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

chris thame wrote:
Bantams are lovely, especially if they have got fluffy feet! I keep
chickens myself but have kept bantams in the past. Apart from the
obvious egg size I would say there are no disadvantages with bantams -
its personal preference

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 12:18:07 -0000, "Keith \(Dorset\)"
wrote:

I'm still brooding over whether we should get some (two) chickens or
not.
Now that I have seen some rat-proof feeders, the idea appeals very much
more.

Except now I'm wondering about bantams.

We love bantam eggs.

Are there any practical disadvanteges to choosing bantams instead of
chickens..

(My wife Catherine would like a white one... and she intends to call it
'poulet').

Are we sad or wot!

As MuddyMike implies, nothing wrong with being sad like that; but be
prepared to get surrounded with unproductive old birds you can't bring
yourself to kill!

Two points about bantams, though: they haven't, in general, been bred
for maximum egg production, or to avoid the tendency to go broody. I'd
consult some breeders about the best breed for your purposes: it isn't
a simple question of "Let's have some white ones". I popped bantam
breeds into Ggl and found a couple of websites to start you off

http://freespace.virgin.net/donovan.hawley/bantams.htm
http://www.poultry.allotment.org.uk/...ders/index.php

--
Mike.