Old 11-01-2007, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Now brooding over bantams.

On 11/1/07 22:27, in article
, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 11/1/07 16:26, in article
, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

chris thame wrote:

snip

We love bantam eggs.

Are there any practical disadvanteges to choosing bantams instead of
chickens..

(My wife Catherine would like a white one... and she intends to call it
'poulet').

Are we sad or wot!

As MuddyMike implies, nothing wrong with being sad like that; but be
prepared to get surrounded with unproductive old birds you can't bring
yourself to kill!

Gosh. I'm glad my husband feels like that. ;-)

My dear! How could you possibly imagine. . ?

Possibly because I got another year older today and am filled with
self-pity. Actually, I'm not and never have been but it's worth a tug on
the old violin strings. ;-)

Years ago he had a bantam - sweet little thing. It used to fly at him,
spurs at the ready trying to attack every time he went near it. In the end
he had to carry a tennis racket with him and swat it to the other end of the
run before he could get the eggs!

I still bear a small scar on the inside of my right knee from one such
friendly greeting by a bantam cock, over fifty years ago! I had no
tennis racquet, and, in my trusting way, only wanted to _talk_ to the
little *******!

Perhaps he was frightened you were going to make him an offer he couldn't
refuse!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk