Old 12-01-2007, 04:42 AM posted to aus.gardens,aus.family
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default i wrote... NOW X-POSTED

In article ,
"0tterbot" wrote:

i really don't think there's one "boomer mindset" though. the boomers have
age-related similarities in many ways (just as every generation does) but i
can't handle the idea of a boomer mindset.

Er...? So what age-related similarities do you mean?

they were the most privileged
generation australia has ever had (i don't think subsequent generations are
nearly so privileged - and by that i'm clearly not only talking about money,
but general advantage, access, and power) and that may make some difference
between them & the rest of us, but in the main i feel parenting style comes
down to so many factors that one's generation is quite possibly the least of
it.

Well, I thought that as well, but I am still wondering what has driven my
entire generation to favour Victorian names (except for the ones who like
bogan names). There is *something* going on.

my dad is totally overindulgent to himself & others - so
when we were broke, we were the ones taking stuff back from the supermarket
checkout because he didn't have enough money to actually get everything we'd
asked for. if we'd been wealthy, i wonder what sort of angry, self-entitled
****** i'd be, according to your theory? g

Well, you might have been! If my parents had been compatible enough to stay
together (and I look at them and wonder what they were thinking to get
married!) I would have grown up in a different part of Sydney, with rather
more privelege, and (therefore?) considerably less compassion, I suspect.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue