Old 24-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Alan Gould

Default Algae in water butt

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

Well, as they generally lack anything like a scent receptor and
invariably lack anything like a nervous system, it seems a
reasonable deduction. You will gather that I have no great time
for Lysenko, but I am perhaps not alone in that :-)

T.D.Lysenko proposed that acquired characteristics are inheritable,
which may well be interesting but it has little to do with plant
sensibilities. Plants may not have a scent receptor, or a nervous system
of the kind found in animals, but they have some plant equivalent of
them. That enables them to detect and respond to a variety of
environmental conditions such as light, temperature, humidity, time,
soil nutrients, air pollution, insect and animal presence etc. etc.
I am suggesting that they may also be able to detect and respond to
other things like smell and noise.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.