Old 12-01-2007, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy Andy is offline

Default small worms in potatoes

Squidgy like a slug.

I hadn't crossed my mind that it could be a slug problem.
The allotment I'm using had been unused for years so maybe there were
more problems with slugs than usual. I did grow some earlies and they
weren't nearly as badly effected. I thought it was because they were a
different variety.

Interesting to see how popular Kestrel spuds are. I think I'll give
them a go, last year I tried Verity, lovely for roasties but not too
great for anything else.

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Andy" wrote
I'm new to growing my own veg and last year I grew potatoes for the
first time. Although I had some success I lost around one third of my
crop. The main pest was a small greyish coloured worm that borrowed
into the potato. I originality thought this was eel worm but I gather
they are very small, these pests were around 4mm.

Does anyone know what this pest might be and what I could do? The best
approach I can think off at the moment is to order a different variety
to last year, maybe some thing disease resistant like Kestrel.

Did they look a bit stiff (wireworm) or soft a squidgy like a slug?

--
Regards
Bob H