Old 12-01-2007, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_1_] Rod[_1_] is offline

Default small worms in potatoes

"Andy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I'm new to growing my own veg and last year I grew potatoes for the
first time. Although I had some success I lost around one third of
my
crop. The main pest was a small greyish coloured worm that borrowed
into the potato. I originality thought this was eel worm but I
gather
they are very small, these pests were around 4mm.

Does anyone know what this pest might be and what I could do?

Did they curl up into a little circle? Too small at this stage to see
legs, but I think what you saw were baby millipedes exploiting the
damage done by slugs to gain access to the potato flesh. You'll see
the same critters under a rotten strawberry for the same reason.
So varieties not favoured by slugs and or the nematode parasite of
slugs. For suitable varieties look up any of Bob's and my postings on
the subject and you'll end up thoroughly confused ;~) On our heavy
soil I like Desiree.
--
Rod

My real address is rodthegardeneratmyisp