Old 13-01-2007, 12:57 PM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Air conditioners

gardenlen writes:
not long ago i opend a g-mail account it
was only known to me and one other person i was associated with on a
friendly basis, the spam that came into that inbox was astranomical,

The possibilities a (i) that gmail was selling your address, and/or
(ii) the HOST SITE (e.g., hotmail) of your correspondent was harvesting
addresses off email and selling them to advertisers, or (iii) that some
spambot was randomly guessing at permutations of likely addresses on gmail.

Unless you can examine BOTH ends of every email link for address harvesting
you really can't say where the blame lies. That's what allows spammers and
colluding email hosts to get away with it to the extent they do.