Old 13-01-2007, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default wildflowers

"Gill Matthews" Try the wrote in message
T...
In article ,

says...
I would like to turn one corner of the garden and possibly down the
drive into a wildflower patch and cannot decide which to use, seeds

or
plugs, any advice or thoughts appreciated

kate

It depends how much control you want over the final look, and how much
time you want to give it to achieve the 'meadow look'

Yes: it does take more work than is always realised. My experience was
that, even with the deliberately impoverished soil you need, the grasses
gradually took over. I'd go for seed rather than plugs, because you need
so many plants: most of my wild flowers were started off in seed trays,
just as for any other flowers.

One needs to be aware of some of the dangers, too. I'm very fond of
orange hawkweed, for example, and included it in my patch; but it soon
spread to the "civilised" areas of the garden, and caused deep mourning.

--
Mike.