Old 24-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Martin Sykes

Default Drainage for garden in London

"Andy Coleman" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

My back garden is approximately 60' x 25' and slopes from front to
back and slighly from left to right. The house is in North London and
as is typical for the area the soil has a clay consistency resulting
in drainage problems.

Someone has advised me that I should dig a hole about 2mx1m by 1m deep
in the lowest point of the garden (which is the bottom right) and fill
it with bricks stones etc. Is this actualy a good option?

It's called a soakaway. The idea is that the water will drain quickly into
the hole and then slowly out again. This should reduce surface water. If the
surrounding soil is really bad though you'll just end up with a smelly hole
full of water. I guess the fact that you don't actually have a natural pond
there means that there is some drainage so it may work. I can't imagine why
the rubble should need to be clean though.

Martin