Old 13-01-2007, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
judith lea judith lea is offline

Default Ginger

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"judith lea" wrote in message
ps.com...
I bought and forgot that I had bought some ginger before Christmas. I
see that it has put out a very nice little green shoot on the side, can
I plant this?

I can't add much to what other posters have said but I can get it to grow
fine. Lots of small green shoots and that's it. It needs several years to
get established (like all Gingers). Using high base heat certainly improves
things. It's fun but much better to grow other gingers where you should get
nice scented large flowers.

Thank you to everyone who replied, I have decided to plant it indoors
if only as a nice plant - BUT I am going to buy another one and keep it
in a jar with peat at the bottom and see what happens to that. Thank
you all.