Old 14-01-2007, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default And by way of contrast......

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 14/1/07 11:35, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
we had a *very* slight frost here this morning. High winds came back
for
bit yesterday afternoon, which was worrying but they died away quickly.
Today is clear and sunny with just a touch of cloud about.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Just a bit blustery here but Sun and about 44F. We have had three mild
frosts so far this winter,not sufficiently fierce to kill any leaves on a
Colocasia (fallax?) or Canna. The high winds we had were warm and we had
52F
for a few hours one night. The Akebia is not in flower but it is in full
leaf bud;-).

Just remember - nobody likes a smart**** ! ;-) I'm counting on ours
flowering at least 3 weeks early this year!

The decision to make now -is it worth waking Bananas,Gingers etc from
dormancy and taking the risk of knackering the lot.
Living in a Fool's Paradise?

Oooh - not yet, Rupert! You'll kick yourself if February turns into what
February so often does!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Thanks for bringing me back to reality.. IIRC last year we had a miserable
late spring so perhaps it's best to wait. Some of the more exotic stuff
(for me) has hardly gone dormant and even some stored canna tubers are
starting to sprout. I know that further South (London area) some of the
exotic plant folk are reporting things growing that would have seemed
totally impossible in previous years.