Old 14-01-2007, 03:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Doug B. Doug B. is offline

Default Cub Cadet Zero Turn chewing up lawn.

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 21:24:48 +0000, restrorob
wrote:

Doug B. Wrote:
My Cub Cadet Z-force really chews up the lawn at the turn/pivot points
when the grass is the least bit damp.
Since my yard is over clay, it is almost always damp.
Will a different tire tread help reduce this?
Or is the only solution coming to a complete stop at each turn?
Thanks.
Doug B.

Have you tried slowing down while turning and reversing one tire ?

Yes.
What I was specifically wondering about was increasing the wheel/tire
size. I've noticed the commercial versions of these zero-turns have
bigger wheels all around.

I really think the rear slip is mostly caused by the small size of the
front caster wheels. The mower won't turn until the front wheels are
in the position that allows them to roll, versus drag. It takes just a
second for the front wheel to spin, but is enough for the rear tire to
lose traction.

Never had this problem on my old garden tractor.
Doug B.