Old 14-01-2007, 06:18 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default This great cold weather

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 09:49:22 -0600, Mike Harris
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 08:40:38 -0600, Jangchub wrote:

Maybe, just maybe I will get some peaches and apples this spring. Also,
it's been two years since I've had a stand of daffodils or irises of any
note.

On another note, we've had a huge male opossum living in our large brush
pile out back. We discovered him dead, but he was very close to the
house. Would an opossum eat one of those rat killing things?

I've got an apricot tree, planted with the wildest of optimism. I
actually managed to get one fruit the year before last. I hear tell that
once every 5 or 6 years conditions are right and I may get a full harvest.

Those "rat killing things" - ? No, opossums don't eat cats. G

They will eat those poisioned baits though. Usually they mix the poison
with a purgative so that if a "non target animal" such as a housepet gets
into it, it'll be vomited up before much of the toxin is absorbed
(rodents' plumbing doesn't run in reverse). Unfortunately this works
better in theory than in actual practice so many non-rodent mammals are
poisoned by the baits. I don't like them for this reason.

Oh, on the apricot...it is not unusual to get a good crop every other
year on most stone fruits, but if the conditions are so horrible as it
was last winter (for stone fruits) they can go years without good
production and during those years can easily develop diseases from the
stress.