Old 14-01-2007, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
judith lea judith lea is offline

Default Worm casts

Alistair Macdonald wrote:
I appreciate all the advice given, and have noted all the "watch its"
However it becomes the lesser of two evils. I have high worm casts at more
than one per square foot. If they are still there, and still wet when the
time comes to carry out my first mowing, I know from past experience that my
rotary blades will deposit vast quantities of mud inside the covering - not
good for the machine nor for my knees.
Alistair

Alaister, I sympathise with you. Some years ago at our last house, I
bought a preparation at Notcutts to kill worms in lawns, I can't
remember the name. I was villified by my family for carrying out such
an act but for an entire growing season, there wasn't a worm cast in
sight. Worm casts are fine when they are dry and can be brushed away
but in wet or damp weather I found them an absolute pain as they were
greasy! and almost necessitated inventing mudguards for mowers!

I have a feeling there was a posting on this product from Notcutts some
time in the recent past and I have a notion that the stuff is no longer
sold - sorry I can't be more helpful.

Judith at home in England