Old 15-01-2007, 12:06 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default This great cold weather

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:30:42 -0600, Mike Harris
wrote:

I don't know the reason for apricots not bearing here. It
might be chilling hours. The tree itself is healthy and pest-free, puts
forth abundant blossoms in the spring, but drops them without forming
fruit for the most part. I don't recall the variety but I did select
one with low chilling requirement and not needing a pollinator.
pollinator

Last winter I had one night for two hours with below freezing temps.
My tree was loaded with tons of flowers, but every peach aborted in
its very early stage (flower still attached).

When stone fruits don't produce, it is almost always chill hour
related, especially here in TX. I have a peach 'Dixieland.' It is
the lowest chill hour with a free stone. It still have 400 chill hour
requirements at temps below 45 degrees. I don't believe we've had
temps like that, steadily, for several years.