Old 14-01-2007, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Box hedging help.

On 14/1/07 16:19, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

Can anyone help me with my box that I'm trying to grow a hedge out of.

Some of my past plants have had this problem and I replaced them.
Now a Plant that is three years old has had it happen to it.

What is it, is there a cure and how can I stop it happening to the rest of
the plants?

Here is a picture of the plant.

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/1587/01050001mz4.jpg

There is a nasty disease doing this sort of thing to box. You could take a
piece carefully quarantined in a plastic bag to a local nursery to ask for
their opinion. Otherwise, I wouldn't take any chances. Take it up and
burn it unless you can be sure it's not caused by e.g. animal urine. Do
foxes come into your garden at night, for example? To the left of your
photo there appear to be shoots similarly affected, or is that a trick of
the light?
And if you think it's the dreaded disease, I'm afraid I would suggest that
you do not replace it with more box. Can you use another plant as a sort of
'punctuation point' between the diseased boxes so as to make it look like a
deliberate choice.
We first saw this at Buckland Abbey where the neat little box hedges around
the herb garden were devastated by this disease.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/learning/resea...drocladium.asp

And if the worst comes to the worst and you have to replace the lot, can you
use rosemary or lavender or the shrubby Hypericum?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk