Old 14-01-2007, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default wildflowers

Kate Morgan wrote:
I would like to turn one corner of the garden and possibly down the
drive into a wildflower patch and cannot decide which to use, seeds or
plugs, any advice or thoughts appreciated

Out of curiosity, what are the approx dimensions of your 'corner'? It's
important so that you know how much seeds to use (taking into account
the self seeding). We successfully did a meadow 5mx7m by a block of
flats in the city centre and in it's 3rd year it was beautiful. We made
another one about 7 years ago, and now the camomille is taking over -
that's because we didn't really think about the dimensions to start
with! We've used no grass seeds, because it will smother all your seeds
eventually (and also attracts slugs) but also once you cut (3 times a
year your mini meadow) the dead grass will prevent your flowers to grow
and moss will settle underneath. Plugs are expensive and as K said and
so much more prone to slugs. I lost myself in this meadow last year in
Longford park in Manchester, at its 'white' peak, after it was 'yellow'
and then 'red and blue' )

http://cjoint.com/?bos1Tgs8Ub