Old 15-01-2007, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
told2b told2b is offline

Default When is the right time to prune trees?

Depends on the tree as to right time to prune. Silver maples and other
large trees are best pruned in the late winter or early spring. Maples
have a propensity to "bleed" sap when cut at that time. Don't let this
concern you; the tree will not bleed to death. Pruning NOW should be
confined to anything that could be a threat to property or bodies.
Pruning cuts this late in the season will not have a chance to heal
properly as they would in the early spring.

On Jan 15, 11:08*am, "
wrote:
Hello,

I have heard several different ideas about the right time to prune or
trim trees. *(By the way, is there a difference between pruning and
trimming?) *"Prune only in winter" . . . "Prune only in summer" . . .
"Prune any time" . . . .

Anyway, I live in Wisconsin, so now in January it is winter here. *I
want to thin out the branches in my silver maples so that I have a
little more sunlight on the yard below. *When is the right time to do
this?

In the event that someone tells me to get rid of the trees altogether,
that is out of the question. *We rent.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker