Old 15-01-2007, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Worm casts

On 15/1/07 15:05, in article ,
"Alistair Macdonald" wrote:

A hardy annual, but much worse this year, hence the query. Oddly, my front
lawn is totally devoid of worm casts, and all three lawns receive exactly
the same care (or lack of it) Must remember to raise the blades next time.
However. I've learnt a lot.
Alistair

There might be a higher water table at the back of the house or a slight
slope from front to back; it may be a change in the soil structure right
there or if it's a new build house, it may be how the surface was prepared
before the lawn was sown. Our biggest lawn cannot be walked on in the wet
weather - water will seep out of it and over your shoes. We don't get many
worms as in seeing loads of casts but then we have a rookery and a lot of
other birdlife in the garden. Our tea room lawn doesn't seem to hold the
water half as much and the other, side lawn where there is, in fact, an old
well, seems to drain better but is on higher ground.
One of the more interesting aspects of gardening - as well as one of the
more frustrating - is little conundrums like yours!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk