Old 15-01-2007, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes Alan Holmes is offline

Default bird boxes

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:46:55 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
. ..

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"sally H" wrote in message
om...

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"sally H" wrote in message
I have just bought vaious bird boxes and should like to put them up
around the garden.

The question is - how do you secure them to the tree trunks
because I
thought that banging a nail into the tree will kill or hurt it.

You could use a plastic tie.

Thanks. I'll try tying where I can but otherwise I'll use nails.
Are
there any nails in particular you would recommend?

I wonder if a screw would be a better bet, as you could undo it a
little as
the tree grew bigger, and when you had finished with the box it could
be
removed completely.

I haven't tried, but I imagine corrosion would make that impossible --
especially with oaks.

I was thinking of a brass screw, which should not corrode, unless there
was
acid on the tree.

There is acid in trees. Brass is an alloy of ...

Yeh, yeh, ok wasn't thinking, again!

Alan

--

Martin