Old 16-01-2007, 07:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default When is the right time to prune trees?

The general rule about pruning is to do it when the trees are dormant, although
there
may be exceptions to that with sweet cherry trees because of disease issues. If
you
prune when the tree is not dormant, you are just encouraging it to put out more
growth, since the root structure tries to maintain a balance with the above
ground
part of the tree.

I think trimming vs. pruning is mainly a semantics issue. However, in my mind,
trimming is done more to shape a tree, whereas pruning also includes freeing up
the center portion of a tree to allow better air circulation, etc. Pruning also
is used
to eliminate branches which are crossing and touching eachother.

I would suggest trimming your maple in late winter when weather permits, as long
as
the trees are not coming out of dormancy.

Sherwin D.

" wrote:

Hello,

I have heard several different ideas about the right time to prune or
trim trees. (By the way, is there a difference between pruning and
trimming?) "Prune only in winter" . . . "Prune only in summer" . . .
"Prune any time" . . . .

Anyway, I live in Wisconsin, so now in January it is winter here. I
want to thin out the branches in my silver maples so that I have a
little more sunlight on the yard below. When is the right time to do
this?

In the event that someone tells me to get rid of the trees altogether,
that is out of the question. We rent.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker