Old 16-01-2007, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
simy1 simy1 is offline

Default Putting an existing "natural area" into production

TriangleGuy wrote:

We plan to do a lot of landscaping and put in a garden now that we get
enough sunlight to grow more than just mushrooms and moss. But I'm
wondering what the best first step is to convert the natural areas to
productive growing soil. My wife thinks we should just spread out the
mounds of pine mulch and mix it with the natural debris. But I'm
worried that all the pine needles will leave a soil that is much too
acidic. I'm thinking we should rake up all the pine needles first.

I would appreciate any advice or pointers to information about what to
do in a situation like this.

A couple of things. First, acidification is temporary, disappearing as
the mulch
turns into soil. Second, mixed green/brown debris (fresh needles with
wood
chips) are less acidic than pine needles by themselves. Third, wood
chips alone
are themselves acidic but last muchlonger than needles. I would do as
your wife
says. It is never a good idea to decrease the organic content of the
soil. If you have
access to wood ash (if you know someone with a wood stove),
that is a cheap way to increase pH instantly (it also has K, some P and
most
micronutrients). This said, most shrubs and trees will like just a
thick layer of the mulch
you have now. Wood ash will help in areas that you plan to turn into
lawn, for a few
selected flowers, and for about half the vegetables you may think of.

For example, my front flower bed received one foot of pine wood chips
over the
first three years, and now for 8 years has received only the leaves
that fall on it in
autumn. I add wood ash in the three iris patches but otherwise never do
anything to it.
My kiwis, grapes, japanese maple and chestnuts get a few inches of wood
chips most
years. If you can not get wood ash (which incidentally should be
applied during the dormant
season, because it can kill plants in large amounts) get some lime.

With the pine needles in there, which are not only acidic but prevent
germination, you might not
be able to seed the lawn until september, when most needles will have
decayed.
Weed seeds will not germinate either. But september is the proper time
anyway, since spring
seeding is never as good as fall seeding, at least here.