Old 16-01-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default wildflowers

La Puce writes

Kate Morgan wrote:
I havnt really decided how much to let go to the wild, we have a big old
lilac tree and a old stone wall and I thought that wild flowers would
look good, also my husband moans every time he mows the lawn under the
tree :-)

I understand why you asked whether plugs would be an idea! It looks
like you've got a good lawn there and the lilac tree next to the stone
wall sounds just like a corner of my front garden! You could give the
'effect' of what you want to do with plugs indeed if you don't want to
mess up your lawn for a meadow. I have used verbena bonariensis against
our wall, scabiosa here and there, pimpernella saxifraga, thistles and
marguerites (lots). I do nothing to it except enjoy and use as cut
flowers in summer. You'll have to 'group' them or they'll get mowed by
your husband!

Though as La Puce says, this is the wild flower 'effect' not the real
thing as most of these are not UK natives.
--
Kay