Old 16-01-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default wildflowers

Kate Morgan writes

Kate Morgan wrote:
I would like to turn one corner of the garden and possibly down the
drive into a wildflower patch and cannot decide which to use, seeds or
plugs, any advice or thoughts appreciated

Out of curiosity, what are the approx dimensions of your 'corner'? It's
important so that you know how much seeds to use (taking into account
the self seeding). We successfully did a meadow 5mx7m by a block of
flats in the city centre and in it's 3rd year it was beautiful. We made
another one about 7 years ago, and now the camomille is taking over -

I havnt really decided how much to let go to the wild, we have a big old
lilac tree and a old stone wall and I thought that wild flowers would
look good, also my husband moans every time he mows the lawn under the
tree :-)

If you're planting under the lilac tree, you'll need woodland plants to
cope with the lack of light and the shade. Try red campion, stitchwort,
woodruff, astrantia, wood vetch. Primroses, wood anemones for spring
(avoid bluebells - their leaves are too much in the way later on). Not
native here but with the right 'feel', small hardy cyclamen -
hederifolium for autumn and coum for spring.
--
Kay