Old 17-01-2007, 06:47 PM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
Scooter the Mighty Scooter the Mighty is offline

Default Bonsai Newbie question

wrote:
My wife heard me singing "Just lie there by the Juniper." When she came
back from Chinatown today, she brought me a small Juniper (?) bonsai. How
do I care for/train it?

The main mistake people make with these is keeping them indoors. The
Juniper is an outdoor plant, it needs a lot of sun and it needs to get
cold in the winter.

A correctly potted bonsai is usually in a very shallow pot with many of
it's roots cut off and a fast draining soil. If this is true of yours,
you'll want to water it a lot more often than you would a house plant
that has soil that holds more water. Most of the small bonsais that
people casually buy in chinatown (i.e. bonsais that don't cost hundreds
of dollars) probably are potted more like house plants and require less
water.

You'll want to repot it every few years.