Old 24-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Snooze

Default Can I Use Leftover Lawn Fertilizer from Last Year?

Granular fertilizers last just about forever, as long as they stay dry.
Overtime they absorb moisture from the air and clump together. You can just
crush the clumps with your hand and use it.

Having said that, granular fertilizers aren't good for the lawn, the
enviornment, the ground water, and rivers. They don't feed the bacteria and
other creatures that live in the ground, which creates an unhealthy lawn
eventually. The excess fertilizer drains off into the rivers and ponds, and
provides food for the algae, turning rivers and ponds green.

This is what I do. Mow the lawn first, then I core the lawn using a handheld
aerator, next I spread grass seed if needed. I also spread a mixture of bone
meal and blood meal at this time. Then I rake a thin layer of composted
steer manure over the grass. Then water this, and don't mow the lawn for two
weeks to give things time to soak into the ground..

After a few weeks, I water with a hose-end sprayer some fish emulsion. Do
this when you don't expect guests for 2-3 days, because it will have a
rotting fish smell for a day or two. You'll also want to shower right away.

Start now, so the organisms in the ground have time to start breaking down
all the stuff into a form the plants can handle, before the peak growing
season. If you get into the growing season, and you feel things need a
boost, then use a bit of a granular fertilizer. But I suspect you might not.

Sameer

"Jeffy3" wrote in message
om...
I use the 4 step program from Scotts and my lawns are not big enough
to use the whole bag, so I have all 4 bags left over from last summer.
They've been in my shed. Can I use them this spring and summer?