Old 17-01-2007, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes Alan Holmes is offline

Default heating a mini polythene greenhouse

wrote in message
ps.com...

BoyPete wrote:
wrote:
so it would just be the cost of a light turned on 24-7? How much does

that equate to I wonder?

Judith at home in England

Obviously it depends on your energy supplier and wattage,, but around
£1.20
a month for 'a light bulb'. Info courtesy of Google.
--
ßôyþëtë

I wonder if you could use the low energy bulbs making that around what,

say 50p a month. I have a Halls greenhouse, I think its about 8 x 8.
My new paraffin heater blew up and I don't want another. Would 2 x low

energy, 100 watt bulbs be adequate to heat the greenhouse so that I
could use it now?

No, because low energy light bulbs do not use the number of watts which are
shown on the case, that is a guide to the relative light output, the power
consumpton is much lower, about 20 watts for a light output of 100 watts.

In the case you mention, the heat output of two bulbs would be only 40
watts.

Alan