Old 17-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Rachel Aitch Rachel Aitch is offline
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Are there any ready made fruit cages that would be 'just as good', but
easier to erect, and cheaper? I don't want rubbish which will need
replacing in a few years. Birds must be kept well and truly out!
Hi Keith,

The cheapest way I've found so far is to get an old frame tent(s), discard the tent but use the frame, covered in the cheapest mesh that your local garden centre sells.

If you have a branch of Freecycle in your area (if you haven't heard of it, a national scheme to pass round unwanted items without payment. Like ebay but without the money)(and the weirdos) you should be able to find an old tent or two. Or if you work in a big office, or know anyone who does, they usually have internal noticeboards on which you could ask for old frame tents.

Best of luck with it!
www.Rachel-The-Gardener.co.uk (still building website, don't expect too much!)
Jobbing Gardener, South Oxfordshire
Living Willow Sculptures and Plant Sales